The Export to Unity node can be used to export materials from ArtEngine and then import them into the Unity Editor using the ArtEngine Importer plugin available on the Unity Asset Store.
ArtEngine exports materials in an AMTL file format. An AMTL file is effectively a zipped package of your material which includes all of its bitmaps. The ArtEngine Importer plugin then reads the AMTL file and creates the material in Unity, appropriately assigning the textures in the material shader.
Exporting from ArtEngine
To export any material from ArtEngine, you can follow these steps:
- Create a new Export to Unity node on the Node Graph. The node is found in the Output category of the Node Library.
- Connect the material you want to export into the node’s input port.
- Set the file name, texture file format, and the output folder path of your export via the node’s Properties window.
- Click the Export button in the Properties window.
- You can find the newly exported AMTL file in the specified output folder.
Importing to Unity
In order to import AMTL files into Unity, you will first need to install the ArtEngine Importer package from the Unity Asset Store. The importer package is only available for Unity versions 2019.4 or higher. You can learn more about using the Unity Asset Store and installing packages on this page.
Once you have the ArtEngine Importer package installed in your Unity project, you can follow these steps to import any AMTL material into the Unity Editor:
- Drag and drop the AMTL file from a local folder into the Unity Project window.
- A new window titled Import an ArtEngine Material pops up. You can use this window to configure the import settings for your AMTL file.
- Select the Default Shader which you want to import this material for. The shader you choose here should correspond to the render pipeline you are using in your Unity project. For the Built-in Render Pipeline, select Standard. For HDRP, select High Definition Render Pipeline > Lit. For URP, Select Universal Render Pipeline > Lit.
- Unity imports the material into your project as a .mat asset file with the corresponding name, as well as a folder with all of the individual texture maps.
- Some ArtEngine maps may not have a clear match in Unity shaders. In this case, these maps must be assigned to the material manually.
- You can review and modify the material properties in the Inspector window.
|Node execution style||Manual|
|Input Name||Input Type||Description|
The material you wish to export for use in Unity.
Set the name of the output AMTL file. The dropdown to the right of this field lets you select the file format of the individual texture maps in the material. The choices are PNG or JPG.
Set the export destination folder.
Enable this option to let ArtEngine automatically overwrite any files in the output Folder path that have the same file names.
Click this button to execute the export operation.